Your pet as a passenger
Zurich Airport’s Animal Care team ensures that your pets are transported safely and smoothly.
Our trained personnel provide your cats, dogs and other animals with the necessary level of care. The airport’s freight area includes air-conditioned, soundproofed animal holding rooms. Please refer to the „Important information“ document to find out all you need to know when arranging transport for your pet.
To ensure that your pet is comfortable on the journey please observe the following guidelines
Clarify the regulations regarding carriage of a pet with your airline. Every airline has different rules regarding the transport of pets in the cabin or the hold.
- Inform your airline in good time (before departure) about the planned transport of animals.
- Transport is subject to a fee, and the animal’s weight – including the container – is usually not included in the baggage allowance.
- Pets may be transported only in appropriate containers
- Maximum weight limits and dimensions apply
- Special check-in counter closing times may apply to passengers travelling with pets. Please enquire with your airline about the latest check-in time for passengers travelling with pets.
If your pet is to travel in the aircraft hold, a stable plastic container must be provided. The animal must be able to assume a natural position and stand, sit, lie and turn around.
Please ask your vet and the relevant authorities regarding the necessary travel documents (import, export and transit papers, health vaccination and certificates) for your pet. The laws may vary from country to country.
At the airport
When you arrive at the airport, proceed to the check-in counter for your flight.
Plan enough time when travelling with a pet. The documents and transport container will be inspected at check-in.
The airline may refuse to carry your pet if documents are missing or if the transport container is unsuitable.